May 7, 2007

Kop farewell for Dudek on Sunday

Jerzy Dudek admits he will be a wreck on Sunday when he says goodbye to Anfield.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper, who helped Liverpool defeat AC Milan in the Champions League final in a penalty shoot-out two years ago, is moving on.

No sooner had the applause died down for his heroic display in Istanbul than he found himself as back-up to new recruit Jose Reina.

Dudek then decided last summer to leave Liverpool after failing to make Poland's World Cup squad.

But the Polish shot-stopper has a little bit of unfinished business before he departs and would love to face Charlton in the Champions League finalists' last domestic game.

'I have 40,000 thank-yous to say, so it will take me a while,' he told LFC Magazine.

'I am out of contract and I need to play football.

'I am still hungry to play and put the disappointment of the World Cup behind me.

'Something changed in me after that snub. From being happy to play here and press Pepe (Reina), I knew I had to go somewhere to play every week.

'I don't know how I will feel when I walk out of this place for the last time.

'But I imagine it will be very emotional and I can see tears in my eyes. I am not looking forward to it at all.'

Copyright ©2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. All rights reserved.

No comments: