January 14, 2005

Morientes Signed up to Anfield.

Below is a sign of our beloved Reds signing yet anoher world calss player which coincidentally Manure tried signing past 2 seasons but can't seem to get him...hmmm..w.at does it say of polayers condifence in Mr Hairdryer and horse-riding team...hahahahaha

Read on...

**************************************************************

Morientes completes Reds switch

Fernando Morientes is in line to make his debut against Manchester United on Saturday after completing his move from Real Madrid to Liverpool on Thursday.

The Spain striker passed a medical - the two clubs having agreed a £6.3million fee on Wednesday - and signed a three-and-a-half year contract just before 5pm.

'Fernando Morientes is now officially a Liverpool player and will be unveiled at a press conference tomorrow,' club spokesman Ian Cotton said.

Benitez is thrilled to have finally secured the services of the Spanish international.

'He is important to us,' Benitez told the Liverpool Echo. 'He is good in the air, he is a good finisher and can shoot with both feet.

'He also has the mentality to go straight into a game like Saturday's if necessary.'

Morientes boasts the remarkable record of scoring on his debut, netting for Albacete, Zaragoza, Real Mardrid, Spain Under-18s, Under-20s and the full national team.

Fellow striker Baros believes Morientes has similar attributes to his Czech Republic team-mate Jan Koller.

The deal is great news,' Baros said. 'Fernando is world class and I'm delighted he is coming to Anfield.

'I'm looking forward to establishing our partnership on the pitch. Fernando is terrific in the air, just like Jan Koller.

'Jan and I have been superb for the Czechs and I believe Fernando and I can prove just as successful in English football.

'He is so strong and so talented that I'm certain he will help us climb towards the very top of the Premiership.

'Obviously, the timing of the deal is very important too. Djibril Cisse is out with a long-term injury and I've had my difficulties with injuries recently as well.'

Morientes said: 'I want to play and I had several offers, but I think the best for me and my family was Liverpool's.

'I am happy for that reason, but sad because it has been eight years here at Madrid and I will never forget them. This is a new stage in my life and I am excited about it.

'I am grateful the club (Madrid) have accepted my wishes to go to Liverpool rather than other better offers they could have had. All I can say is thanks to all the clubs who were interested.

'One of them was Lyon, but when their offer came in I had given my word to Liverpool. The Lyon offer came later and I had made my decision. I wanted to go to England.'

Former Valencia defender Mauricio Pellegrino marked his first outing for a Liverpool XI by scoring in a 3-0 victory against Chester reserves. Baros and Igor Biscan also featured in the game.

No comments: